Sometimes even the best laid plans can go awry… What to do when you’ve planned to make lasagne and then found your pasta machine is broken? And I thought I was so organised! I had made fresh dough that morning, prepared my sauce in advance, and was all ready to go to make lasagne for dinner that evening, but then…

I tried to roll the dough through the machine and found that the machine was just plain broke. Damn :(

So how do you go from little round dough cakes to something edible? I did try old-school, believe me I did, but I just didn’t have the skills (or muscles) that our ancestors did. Every time the rolling pin left it, the damn thing would spring back into a little round cake!

What to do? With a little prodding from a hungry little Piggy, I improvised instead…

Enter… Italian meehoonkueh! So this is basically meehoonkueh, boiled in water instead of stock and then served with pasta sauce.



Prepare your sauce as usual.
Cook the meehoonkueh in salted boiling water, then drain well.
Gently stir the meehoonkueh through the sauce and then dish to serve!

This ended up working really well! The texture of the pulled dough ranges from velvety thin to pleasantly chewy, making it a little heartier than spaghetti, but lighter than lasagne. The rough texture also allows the sauce to stick really well to the dough.

Disaster averted!



Comments (0)